Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Motivating, Happy, Colourful Stuff

Baby, it's cold outside! As much as I want to hibernate every winter, I really was motivated today to see all the wonderful things going on around me. Even if it is 20-below (or zero degrees for you Fahrenheit people). And even if I had a headache and fell asleep during 'Geography'. (We were watching Planet Earth: Caves. It's dark and quiet in those things...not a whole lot moving around to keep you alert. I recommend the following episode: The Desert. I have to say, the squat-and-rhythmic-tail-flapping-accompanied-by-loud-honking mating dance of the wild bactrian camel will perk anyone up.)

So, happy, colourful things to get excited about:

Harry's Christmas Blend Butterscotch & Caramel Coffee. A good book. Sitting in the car watching the kids skate on freshly flooded ice. I'm reminded that even on frigid Canadian winter days, if you dress properly and keep moving, it's still a great day.

Cool, colourful knitted stuff at Twist Collective. Check out the patterns and colours. What great energy and contrast. As much as I loved my world today: white, crisp, icy and blue; you can't help getting great ideas when you click through this online magazine.

Like this sweater coat. And the socks, above. Wouldn't it be great to knit socks like that??! Don't you wonder how many little strings there are hanging out inside them and how do you get them on your feet without snagging at least one of the little piggies and messing up the pattern?

Or these mitts. Gorgeous. How insane would I get just attempting the cuff. These almost scream 'I dare you to try!' at me. I mean, they can't be impossible, can they? Think I could get a pair done in time for next winter? Or how about a pair that would match my coat! Then I'd have to plan a colour scheme on top of learning to strand colours.

Maybe I'd be safer with this little A-line sweater. I love it, but don't the fashion people say something about having horizontal stripes running the width of the widest part of your body? Hmm...might have to search Ravelry for a comparably inspiring afghan or something.

What else did I come across today...a new baby born at home to a HSing mama. If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is. Planning a trip to IKEA. Our clock broke (as in shattered, destroyed, in pieces; not 'it just stopped ticking...') and it's a good excuse to go to IKEA to get a new one. I would love to get one of these for my dining room while I'm there, but I think B. might notice a box that big in the car. Blogs like this, making me laugh and reminding me that it's ok to be uncertain and questioning at times on your individual spiritual path. That we all question things from time to time and stressing about it doesn't really help. That looking at situations as learning opportunities and finding the humour in daily life makes for a pretty good day. And the day wrapped up with a nice 'coffee & chat' at the local hot spot with a few local homeschooling moms. It's nice to connect every once in a while with like-minded people. Affirming. Interesting. I always come away with list of things to look into, read, try. Tonight my list said astronomy, The Importance of Being Earnest, Jane Austen and The Rideau Canal.

So there you have it. Some colourful bits. A few things to look forward to. Warm fuzzies from enjoying the day.
♥Bonni

3 comments:

moominmamma said...

Thanks for pointing out the Gytha pattern to me. It's exactly what I was looking for to knit for my eldest!

Anonymous said...

For the love of all that is holy, will you PLEASE teach me how to do mittens!?!??! I have started/stopped a dozen patterns and have one mitt to show for it - and a little child asking me every hour when I will finish the other one {ACKK!}

jugglingpaynes said...

ROFL! Thanks for pointing me to that blog! I loved her take on homeschooling! Hilarious!

I would love to know the story behind the clock. Sounds like sabotage to me. At least a good excuse to head to IKEA. :o)

Peace and Laughter!
Cristina