Friday, December 12, 2008

No-Roll Sugar Cookies

My cookie exchange recipe, No-Roll Sugar Cookies, comes from my battered old cookbook, "The Pillsbury Cookbook: The All Purpose Companion For Today's Cook". Not being a sugar cookie connoisseur of any sort, I have no idea of they are any good or not. My kids like 'em, and that's what counts here. The other reason I like them is that I don't have to roll, cut, lift and bake. Somewhere between the cutting of the shape with the cookie cutter and the lifting onto the pan with the spatula, I manage to mangle any sort of dough. I think I need lessons.

No-Roll Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
4½ cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt

In large bowl, cream both sugars and butter until light and fluffy.
Add oil, vanilla and eggs; mix well.
Stir in flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt until well blended.
Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Heat oven to 375ºF.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.
Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until set, but not brown.
Makes 9 to 10 dozen cookies.

To note a few things: You can substitute some lemon juice for the cream of tartar 1:3. I wouldn't use this substitution in every recipe, but due to the size of this one, the lemon juice won't be noticeable. Use 3 teaspoons for every teaspoon of cream of tartar called for. I divided the dough into four patties and wrapped each before I put it in the fridge. That way, I only took out one at a time and the others stayed cold while I worked away. I decorated with holly shaped non-perils before baking. It was tedious. I got the frustrating things at my local Bulk Barn. When you're buying yours, get half of what you think you need. Otherwise, you'll have non-perils in your freezer for years. Flip the baking sheet upside-down and bake your cookies on the bottom of your cookie sheet. Unless, of course, you already have nice, flat cookie sheets without rims. They tend to cook more evenly without the rim in the way.

I really liked these little guys while they were warm. Once they cooled, they were packed away and frozen. I'll have to let you know how I like them after our Christmas company eats them.

♥Bonni

No comments: